Another week, another saga in the quest to make marriage equality a reality in Australia.
It came to a head last week as some of the country’s most influential business leaders called on the government to act on the issue. This lead to the Immigration Minister, Peter Dutton, telling them to ‘stick to knitting’ and running their businesses.
This week was off to a good start with the results of a survey showed 40% of people in Coalition government electorates were less likely to vote for the Coalition in the next government if it continued to block marriage equality.
But breaking news later in the afternoon revealed conservative Coalition politicians want to push for a plebiscite on the issue via a voluntary postal vote.
Marriage equality advocates are disappointed at the news, after successfully campaigning to have a previously floated plebiscite blocked by the Senate.
As the debate rages on, we thought photos of some cute pooches getting behind the cause might cheer everybody up a bit. Check out the adorable gallery below.
1. Who could deny these marriage equality fans?
2. Super proud to be on the equality train
3. Don’t believe his face, he’s a supporter
4. Checking out the goods in the equality shop
5. Hanging out with mum
6. OK this guy’s not real, but he’s still cute
7. For some indulgence; the author’s two dogs wearing their support for all to see
Author: Shannon Power